Can I dispose of hazardous materials?

The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality considers any solid waste that is flammable, corrosive, reactive or toxic as hazardous waste, and it is important to dispose of these materials correctly and keep them out of soil, groundwater, and the County’s landfill.    


King George County holds two household hazardous waste collection days a year at our Sealston convenience center, and typical materials include:

  • old gasoline, kerosene, or fuel additives
  • brake fluid
  • power steering fluid
  • driveway sealers
  • flammable cleaning solvents such as turpentine, varsol, mineral spirits, parts cleaners, floor strippers, rug cleaners, and spot removers 
  • lamp and heating oil 
  • home, lawn, and garden chemicals used for pest, insect, and weed control 
  • corrosives such as muriatic acid, and oven or drain cleaners with lye 
  • swimming pool additives 
  • photo chemicals 
  • thermometers, thermostats, and barometers containing mercury
  • oil-based paint, varnish, stains, and polyurethane 
  • full cans of spray paint


Latex paint is not a hazardous material, and if it is dry, can be disposed of as trash at the Sealston convenience center.  Removing the lid and mixing any wet paint with sand or kitty litter will speed up the drying process.  

You also don’t have to wait for a household hazardous waste day to recycle motor oil, hydraulic fluid or gear oil.  All three can go into the used oil tanks at either convenience center.  Used anti-freeze can also go into the used anti-freeze tanks at either center.  

Show All Answers

1. Can I dispose of hazardous materials?
2. What can be recycled?
3. What cannot be accepted at the Purkins - Route 205 Center?
4. What are the rules and procedures for the convenience centers?
5. Do I need a county sticker to use the landfill or convenience centers?
6. Is there a charge for any items from my own residence?
7. Can I get an exemption to allow me to use my business vehicle to drop off my household trash?
8. Can I use a commercial sized vehicle to deliver the waste from construction/cleanup on my property?
9. How do I obtain a county license decal?